Upper-Sandusky Public Library
|Project title||Design research for a small town public library|
|Company/client name||Public Library, Upper-Sandusky, Ohio / Kent State University|
|Project dates/time frame||March-May 2017|
|Research||Interviews, literature review|
|Deliverables||personas, sitemap, wireframes|
|Tools used||Balsamiq, Tree-test & 1st-click test by Optimal Workshop|
I did this project in an Information Architecture class at Kent State University.
Library sites are complex and small town libraries often don’t have to resources to hire professional designers. The Upper Sandusky Library site had become cluttered over time by the accumulation of new content without a strategy for organizing it. It was difficult for patrons to find the most commonly sought after information.
I analyzed the information structure of the current site and did a content inventory. Then I did a literature review of research on other library sites and interviewed several librarians. With this input, I designed a new site map, created personas, and tested the new navigation remotely with users. After revising the structure several times based on feedback, I created the wireframes shown in this report.